Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Facebook blacklisted me...

For a website I am building I want to have facebook authentication, which means that users don't have to make an account. In order to use their API, facebook forces you to make an actual profile on their website. With great reluctance, I made my profile page, getting flooded with requests and other messages instantly. Well, I thought, this is what I have to do to get my key. So then I went to the app registration page and I got the following message:
You can no longer create apps because our systems indicated that your account may not be authentic. Facebook requires users to provide their real first and last names, and fake accounts are a violation of our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities (SRR 4.1), even when used to host or test apps. Also note that maintaining multiple accounts, even if they are authentic, is also prohibited. If you would like to create a test user to test app functionality, you can do so here: http://developers.facebook.com/docs/test_users/. If you believe you have received this message in error, please submit an appeal: https://www.facebook.com/help/contact_us.php?id=140703502680919.
Seriously, WTF. After all that trouble I went through, their "systems" say my account is not authentic. What does that even mean, their systems? This completely baffles me, since I have dumped all sorts of personal stuff on there and I went through an SMS authentication. Nonetheless, their "systems" think I am lying.

 I am pretty pissed off right now. The API key proved to be one big carrot on a stick to lure me in. Now I have to scan government papers to actually prove I am who I am. If their oh so intelligent system doesn't think my passport is a fake, that is...

update: I have sent a heavily censored copy of my driver's license to facebook. I am un-blacklisted now.

2 comments:

  1. I had the same issue and provided my ID but still haven't received a response. How long did it take to hear from them ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a response the same day, but I think I got lucky. A response to my e-mail about what triggered the blacklisting took a day or two. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete